Slow Cooked Pork, Cabbage and Onions of: pork shoulder, cabbage, onion, salt, pepper, cloves, nutmeg, diet cola, caraway seeds, beef broth.
- 3 pounds lean pork shoulder — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large head of cabbage — cut into chunks
- 1 large onion — cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 each whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 ounces diet rite or other diet cola
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 6 ounces beef broth
How to Prepare:
Preheat oven to 300f. In an oven proof pan with a tight fitting lid, saute onion in bacon grease until slightly translucent. Add pork cubes and saute for 5-6 minutes or until they change colors. Then add the cabbage and remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer, cover tightly with lid. Place in oven and let cook for 3-4 hours.
You can strain the juices out and reduce them and serve with the dish or just use a slotted spoon and serve as-is.
Serve in a bowl with a dollup of sour cream on top.